Submit a request


How do we claim an exemption for our child born in December when we don't have her Social Security number?

You must enter her Social Security number on your tax return to claim her as a dependent. Apply for a Social Security number at the same time you apply for a birth certificate. If you do this, you will likely receive the Social Security number before the due date of the return, which is normally April 15th.