Submit a request


Last year I had some capital losses that exceeded the $3,000 maximum allowed. How do I get to use the remaining losses?

You need to use the data from last year's return and complete the Capital Loss Carryover worksheet in this year's Schedule D instructions. Once the allocation between carryover long- and short-term losses is complete, you enter the short-term and long-term carryover losses on the applicable lines of Form 1040 Schedule D.