Submit a request


I attend college full time, work, and live with my father. Can I file and claim my own exemption, or should my father claim me as a dependent?

If you are a full-time student under age 24, you are your father's qualifying child if you live with him for more than six months (which includes time living at college) and you are not self-supporting. You would be self-supporting if you provided more than half of your own total support. Total support includes the fair market value of any lodging provided to you, utilities, repairs to the household, food, clothing, education, medical, dental, travel and recreation expenses. If you are self-supporting, then your father may not claim you and you should claim your own exemption. But if you are not self-supporting, only your father can claim your exemption.